How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42156
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am currently having to go to court over a hearing for ...

Customer Question

i am currently having to go to court over a hearing for establishing child support. my son currently lives with his father, and in 2000 we went to court over paternity, and his father was given temporary physical custody. his father and i were never married. also his father hasn''t worked since 1996 due to a construction accident. i can''t afford a lawyer, so what should i do to protect myself when i go to this hearing. the hearing is also going to cover custody, visitation, medical coverage and possible reimbersment to the county for any aid my son''s father has recieved. my son''s fathers health isn''t very well, and i would like to fight for complete custody of my son.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for your question. You may be liable for payment of back support if you are in arrearages. If there was an order for you to pay or they may make a new order for you to pay. You can argue for custody since your ex is unemployed and may not be capbable of raising the child. A good way to protect yourself would be to read the attached website and learn more about the process and law involved. This site should assist you in this matter to prepare for the hearing..


RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i would like to state, the i have never been ordered to pay any child support. i have of course have contributed to the raising of my son. also as i stated, my son's father health isn't very good. last year he had to have his left leg amputated, and since then he has been pretty well bed ridden, along with several trips to the hospital and a month's stay in a nursing home.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for more information. they will be looking to establish support because he is getting benefits for father or maybe the child. He may have been getting AFDC or medicaid. This is the state looking for money back. You should ask what benenfits exactly who got or is getting. If you think child is getting substandard care maybe this needs to be reported to social services.. This might help you custody wise by having the state check out dad and the living situation..