How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I collect on back child support from the IRS

Resolved Question:

Upon my divorce I was told that my x husbands back child support would be garnished from his income tax returns. In the past two years nothing has been garnished. What do i do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


DCF must file for the tax write off. If they fail to do so then the IRS will not deduct the money from his tax's. Also if he has no refund then they can not take the money from him. He may be claiming more on his tax forms to prevent much being taken out of his checks so he has little or no refund at the end of the year.

You will want to go to the DCF and make a appointment to find out why there is no refund.


Walter and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you