How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend is 12 weeks pregnant and is living with a ...

Customer Question

my friend is 12 weeks pregnant and is living with a verbally abusive man but has now decided to leave. can she move cross country? and what are his rights. he refuses to sign all rights away even though he didn''t want this baby
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Since she is still pregnant she is free to go anywhere she pleases. Once she has the child she is more restricted since the father can petition the courts to bring the child back. If she plans on leaving before having the child is her top choice.

He has the same rights as she has.......he can not be forced to sign away his rights and even if she can talk him into it the courts often deny these petitions unless the child is being adopted by her new husband or it is in the child's best interest. Once the child is born he can petition for visitation or custody of the child and she can petition for child support. Since they are unmarried she has automatic custody of the child.



Related Family Law Questions