How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I go about removing my adult child (20) from my ...

Resolved Question:

How can I go about removing my adult child (20) from my home due to lack of respect and following guidelines?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Has your adult son in any way become violent towards you or how would you characterize his lack of respect?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Verbally abusive, very volatile but no physical violence yet. Some information I would prefer not to post on line. Does not attend school (quit) and also quit his job.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your responseCustomer

Two ways you can legally force him out.

1) Where ever there is any degree of family violence in the household, you are eligible in filing for a restraining order to have him immediately removed from your home. If his verbal abuse is such that a reasonable person would be in fear of physical violence, then you can proceed with obtaining a restraining order. The court will issue an immediate order, serve him and he will have to leave, from there a hearing is set to determine whether a long term order should be issue.

You can review the process and access the forms here.

2) Although he is your son, the fact that he has remained in your family house hold with your consent has given him rights as a tenant to remain in possession of the premises (not the property). Even if he is not paying rent, you will need to remove him the same way a landlord removes the tenant. I would contact the police to assist in his removal, but most times the police will not help without a court order granting your eviction request.

To evict someone will require that you post written notice and from there if he fails to leave by the specified date you will need to file suit for an eviction.

You can find how to evict books at your local book store or library and do not need an attorney to assist with this process. As you can tell the eviction will take a longer time than the restraining order, but these are two legal ways to remove someone from your property.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you