How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

many years of parental conflict (parents were not a couple ...

Resolved Question:

many years of parental conflict (parents were not a couple at childs birth). father went to court for visition/custody rights when child was 2 (now 11). father always has child at appointed times and helps with sports programs. mother has controlled & manipulated always. father went to court 1/08 for order for child not to be moved from area and it was granted. tthis weekend child says she is afraid of father, does not want spend her time with him until she can trust him (=no drinking which father agreed to and to let her move) child has NEVER shown fear/hesitation at fathers and the words she used were the exact words mother uses. father has not seen child since but feels best interest of child is both parents in her life. what to do in ca?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 9 years ago.
It sounds like the mother is using the child to manipulate you into letting the mother move with the child out of the area against the court order. You have to determine if the child would be better off if you let her move out of the area and if you could live with that or stick to the court order and make them remain in the area and have fewer visits for now until the child is willing to continue the visistation schedule. You should continue to show up for your visitation times and try to get your daughter to go with you even if it is just for dinner or something until she realizes you are not the threat that her mother appears to make you out to be.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Shelley's Post: i am considering holding my ground for now and trying to get emergency court ordered counselling in part ofr child and in part because i don't know what to do or best is best in the big picture not just now.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 9 years ago.
If you want to be an active parent in your child's life then standing your ground is best for you. Asking for counseling would be great especially if it is for her and for you also. Also, if a conselor determines that the living arrangement with her mother is causing a lot of emotional distress you may be able to get temporary custody until the mother attends counseling to get over her unresolved anger towards you.
legaleagle and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions