How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

where to fined information on the writes of ...

Resolved Question:

where to fined information on the writes of 12year olds and the choice of witch perant the would live with.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.

The law does not give a child the legal right to make decisions on where the child wishes to live. A minor lacks legal capacity to make such decisions. Only the parents or the judge make custody decisions based on what parenting arrangement would serve the child's best interest.

In general a child of 12 years and up can state only a preference but the judge decides whether to take their preference into consideration or not.

The judge must make a decision based on one or all of the following factors as stated by the Idaho custody laws. As you can see one factor is the child's wishes (again only their wish/not a decision).

Unfortunately when it comes to custody the child has no rights all custody decisions are based on the best interests of the child.

Idaho Statutes

The court shall
consider all relevant factors which may include:
(a) The wishes of the child's parent or parents as to his or her custody;
(b) The wishes of the child as to his or her custodian;
(c) The interaction and interrelationship of the child with his or her
parent or parents, and his or her siblings;
(d) The child's adjustment to his or her home, school, and community;
(e) The character and circumstances of all individuals involved;
(f) The need to promote continuity and stability in the life of the
child; and
(g) Domestic violence as defined in section 39-6303, Idaho Code, whether
or not in the presence of the child.
(2) If the parent has a disability as defined in this section, the parent
shall have the right to provide evidence and information regarding the manner
in which the use of adaptive equipment or supportive services will enable the
parent to carry out the responsibilities of parenting the child. The court
shall advise the parent of such right. Evaluations of parental fitness shall
take into account the use of adaptive equipment and supportive services for
parents with disabilities and shall be conducted by, or with the assistance
of, a person who has expertise concerning such equipment and services. Nothing
in this section shall be construed to create any new or additional obligations
on state or local governments to purchase or provide adaptive equipment or
supportive services for parents with disabilities.
(3) In any case where the child is actually residing with a grandparent
in a stable relationship, the court may recognize the grandparent as having
the same standing as a parent for evaluating what custody arrangements are in
the best interests of the child.
(4) As used in this chapter:
(a) "Adaptive equipment" means any piece of equipment or any item that is
used to increase, maintain or improve the parenting capabilities of a
parent with a disability.
(b) "Disability" means, with respect to an individual, any mental or
physical impairment which substantially limits one (1) or more major life
activities of the individual including, but not limited to, self-care,
manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, learning or working, or
a record of such an impairment, or being regarded as having such an
impairment. Disability shall not include transvestism, transsexualism,
pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, other sexual behavior disorders,
substance use disorders, compulsive gambling, kleptomania or pyromania.
Sexual preference or orientation is not considered an impairment or
disability. Whether an impairment substantially limits a major life
activity shall be determined without consideration of the effect of
corrective or mitigating measures used to reduce the effects of the
(c) "Supportive services" means services which assist a parent with a
disability to compensate for those aspects of their disability which
affect their ability to care for their child and which will enable them to
discharge their parental responsibilities. The term includes specialized
or adapted training, evaluations, or assistance with effective use of
adaptive equipment, and accommodations which allow a parent with a
disability to benefit from other services, such as braille texts or sign
language interpreters.
(5) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow discrimination on
the basis of disability. In any case where the disability of a parent is found
by the court to be relevant to an award of custody of a child, the court shall
make specific findings concerning the disability and what effect, if any, the
court finds the disability has on the best interests of the child.
(6) With reference to this section, when an active member of the Idaho
national guard has been ordered or called to duty as defined in section
46-409, Idaho Code, or when a member of the military reserve is ordered to
active federal service under title 10, United States Code, such military
service thereunder shall not be a substantial or material and permanent change
in circumstance to modify by reducing the member's previously decreed child
custody and visitation privileges.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you