How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leslie D. Your Own Question
Leslie D.
Leslie D., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 201
Experience:  Experience in family law, abuse and assault victim advocate
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Leslie D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in Michigan. I am currently the custodial parent.

Resolved Question:

i live in Michigan. I am currently the custodial parent. I want to take my children to Hawaii. My soon to be ex husband does not want them to go. Can he stop me from taking them on this vacation?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 9 years ago.


- Will the vacation interfere with his visitaion rights? How long will the vacation last?



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He will miss 9.5 hours of parenting time which will be made up upon the children's return. the vacation will last 8 days, this includes travel time.
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 9 years ago.

Normally, slight deviations from the visitation schedule are okay if both parties accept them. In this case, it sounds like you have tried to make sure that even if you go on vacation, your ex will still get the same amount of visiation with the kids. If he does not agree to this, he could object to the vacation, but since you are willing to work with him to make up the visitation time, it's unlikely that the court will force you to stay home, unless the make-up time is very inconvenient for him or unless he has some other valid reason for objecting to the visitation. If he is just objecting to be difficult, it's pretty unlikely that the court will force you to stay home.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so that I may receive credit for my answer.



Leslie D. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you