How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is is possible to settle a child support balance for 1/2

Resolved Question:

I live in NYS and I want to know if I could pay 1/2 of what I owe in arrears and close the child support case? Is that possible?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 9 years ago.


Yes, that is possible, especially if the support is owed to the other parent, and not the state for past public assistance paid. Either way, though, it is possible. If the other parent is using the Child Support Enforcement, you can approach them with a figure and try to "make a deal" for a lessor amount. Usually, it has to be in a lump sum to settle it and close the case. I would treat this like any other negotiation. Start out at a lower amount and then compromise, if necessary.

If you have to settle directly with your ex, the same thing applies. Try to offer a lower amount, and make it a lump sum offer. This agreement with half to be approved by a judge, but if both parties agree, any judge will approve the deal.

I hope this is helpful to you.

dkennedy and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions