How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Familylaw Guru Your Own Question
Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Familylaw Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about obtaining sole custody of my child The ...

Customer Question

How do I go about obtaining sole custody of my child? The father is in and out of her life all the time and has been recently awarded not to pay child support (which he never did in the first place) only when we would get ready to go back to court.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.

To obtain sole custody you will need to file a petition for sole custody with the court that originally issued any sort of custody decree or child support order.

You can file this yourself or get an attorney to file it for you. In the petition you will need to explain to the court the reasons that you want sole custody.