How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leslie D. Your Own Question
Leslie D.
Leslie D., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 201
Experience:  Experience in family law, abuse and assault victim advocate
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Leslie D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a lien be placed on an ex-spouses house for ...

This answer was rated:

Can a lien be placed on an ex-spouse''s house for past due spousal support?? State of Massachusetts

Spouse is now 2 months behind--$2000 and has his (formerly my house) on the market for $1.9 million.

Spousal support was court approved, but not court ordered. Spouse had agreed to pay $1000. per month until death or remarriage of recipient.


Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that the spousal support was agreed to in writing, and the court approved the agreement?



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the Separation Agreement was approved by the Court in October 1997.

elizabeth c.

Since the spousal support obligation was recognized by the court, you can obtain a judgment lien on your ex's house to enforce the support obligation. To do this, you will need to record an Abstract of Support Judgment in the recorder's office where the property is located. For assistance in drafting and recording the Abstract of Support Judgment, you can talk to a local attorney, or you might ask at the recorder's office to see if they can guide you through the process.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my answer.

Best wishes and good luck!



Leslie D. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Dear Ms. Leslie D., Esquire

Thank you for your assistance. It is very helpful--probably more helpful than some of the attorneys I have had here live!
No problem! Thanks for your kind words.