How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a husband be made to pay half of rent

Resolved Question:

My husband and I are both on the lease of the apartment. We had a problem and he left. I have not heard from him but I do know where he works. I am nw paying all of the rent on the aprtment. How do I get him to pay his half of the rent? Management of the property told me the only way I can get his name of the lease is if he takes it off himself. Both of us would have to go to the office and he would have to take it off until then, there is nothing they can do. So at anytime he can just come right back to the aprtment. What can I do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
The only legal way you can make him pay his share of the rent would be by filing for a legal separation or divorce and requesting the court to give you a temporary order of support while you work on a parent order of support during the process of your legal separation or divorce.

As to keeping him away, since his name is XXXXX XXXXX lease he does have possessory rights and the only way to legally keep him out would be to file for a restraining order (if there is good cause) or request in your separation or divorce petition that he be restrained from entering the apartment.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you