Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am 60 and my husband is 64 and we live in Ohio He is a ...

Customer Question
I am 60 and my...
I am 60 and my husband is 64 and we live in Ohio He is a drunk. He makes less than I do. Should/could I get a legal separation and have my own bedroom without it being considered abandonment?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/2/2008
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Based on the information supplied you might well indeed consider legally separating or even divorcing if you feel this will protect your interests. I have known of situations where this was done because the spouse refused to sober up and was driving on a daily basis in this condition.The spouse was afraid of the liability in case he has a wreck or otherwise harmed another driver. Remember only you know your circumstances well enough to know if this is in your best interests. It is certainly doable in this day and age. You are not the first one to have a similar situation. Thanks for your question and good luck.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: Are you saying that a legal separation will permit me to live in a separate bedroom without being exposed to his drunXXXXX XXXXXabilities and without being accused of abandonment?
Yes if you are legally separated or divorced for that matter you can live anywhere, that includes the bedroom next door or across the street or across the town. In the eyes of the law you are two separate and free individuals..
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer