How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41018
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 60 and my husband is 64 and we live in Ohio He is a ...

Resolved Question:

I am 60 and my husband is 64 and we live in Ohio He is a drunk. He makes less than I do. Should/could I get a legal separation and have my own bedroom without it being considered abandonment?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Based on the information supplied you might well indeed consider legally separating or even divorcing if you feel this will protect your interests. I have known of situations where this was done because the spouse refused to sober up and was driving on a daily basis in this condition.The spouse was afraid of the liability in case he has a wreck or otherwise harmed another driver. Remember only you know your circumstances well enough to know if this is in your best interests. It is certainly doable in this day and age. You are not the first one to have a similar situation. Thanks for your question and good luck.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: Are you saying that a legal separation will permit me to live in a separate bedroom without being exposed to his drunXXXXX XXXXXabilities and without being accused of abandonment?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Yes if you are legally separated or divorced for that matter you can live anywhere, that includes the bedroom next door or across the street or across the town. In the eyes of the law you are two separate and free individuals..
RayAnswers and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions