How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask 4ren6 Your Own Question
4ren6, Expert Criminal Witness
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4794
Experience:  Retired Law Enforcement.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
4ren6 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my granddaughter come to live in my home

This answer was rated:

My son has two children - a son 16 and a daughter 14. Their mother was killed in a car accident when the boy was 3 and the girl was 18 months. My husband and I have taken care of them for about 12 years when so was working, going to school, or out of town. They were with their dad on weekends and whenever he was home. He remarried about 2-3 years ago. The woman has no children of her own. She has emotional problems from being raised by a step-mother whom she hated. She is convinced that my granddaughter needs counseling because she picks at some little bumps on her upper arms!! There are many other issues. The step-mom is emotionally unstable, in my opinion. My son works out of town 2-3 weeks out of four. The children are with this step-mom most of the time. It''s an emotional mess at that home. It almost seems like the children have become her little slaves...especially my granddaughter. She is not their legal guardian. Would I have a chance at getting joint custody??
No as the courts view this as a family reality...........both your son and his new wife do not even have to let you see the kids.........

If you have serious concerns on any of the childrens health care or treatment from her (mother) then report such to the Children and Family to investigate.

But as long as there is a marriage you can not ask for custody of her. There is a husband and wife. If both were killed in an accident then you would have the ability to file for custody. You may wish to discuss this with your son. reply if needed.
4ren6 and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions