How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

WHAT CAN I DO,2 GET MY PASSPORT BACK i have a child support ...

Customer Question

WHAT CAN I DO,2 GET MY PPORT BACK? i have a child support issue that i have from day one contested that i wanted a blood test to see if i''m really the father,i have only seen the child the day of her birth ,anf thats been over 25 years,my passport was rejected in 1998,and thats when i first recieved information about child support,i had found out they had sent the first notice to an address i have nevered lived at,and they new i was in the military,so they could have sent me the cort papers there,a lawery had said that they sent it to the wrong address means i was not properly notified,and that notification ,actually would start in 1998,when i recieved notice.this happen in california,but the state that put a hold on my passport was virginia,so i went to the da office in LA,and made a deal with them if i borrowed $5000 to put down,could they release my passport,and they said yes,"THEY LIED!,..BECAUSE THEY KNEW THAT ONLY THE STATE {VIRGINIA}COULD RELEASE MY PASSPORT.can u help me?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


I am sorry that you had such a bad dealings with child support, unfortunately they will use what ever means they have to try and get support paid including lying. The fact is only Virginia can release the hold on your passport.

You may want to call them and explain the situation. Let them know you paid a lump sum of 5,000 and are willing to start making payments but you need your passport. Often if you are nice and are showing good faith by paying something each month they will release holds in order to get support.

Keep in mind this is just the start........they can suspend any drivers licenses or professional licenses you may hold as well as seize income tax refunds and even have you thrown in jail if you fail to pay the support.

Since there is a issue with paternity you may want to consider hiring a lawyer in Virginia to petition the courts for a paternity based on not being notified until 1998. Based on the number of years that have passed it will not be a easy process and not one I would recommend you go alone on. Since the child is over 18 years of age the courts are not going to be real keen on forcing the child to submit to a DNA test.

In the end either paying it or getting a test is your only option here. The courts are not required to give you a test based on the number of years that have passed. But it is worth a try.


Walter and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i already knew the answer,that you gave me,so maybe if i made a little more broader...they say i owe about $30,000,i really don't have money for court ,and lawyers,i would like to settle with them with one lump sum,like,,,$5, can i do that?
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Child support is not in the business of accepting settlement offers. You owe what you owe and they will hound you until they get it. If they are unable to get it now, they will take it from your Social Security or your estate when you pass.

Now, they are often acceptable to knocking off any interest owed (If your order includes interest) if you can pay the full amount within a certain amount of time. (Normally around 1-2 years).

As far as getting them to accept 5K for a 30,000 judgment that is not going to happen. I am sorry, I wish I had better news but child support isn't like other debt you can settle on child support is owed regardless.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you walter.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.
You are welcome.......I wish I had better news for you.