How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child is due to be born on apr 8th and the mother ...

Resolved Question:

My child is due to be born on apr 8th and the mother is saying i cant see my child but she lives in a 3br house with her parents who are in counseling for their crack addiction and their 2 kids her and her other child who is 2yr old. She has no job or no education and the whole family lives off of Social Security. I am in the military and can support my child is it possible for me to get full custody?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Are you married to the mother?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No i am not married to her
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Thank you Eric for your question.

In an unmarried situation, the mother is considered to have sole legal custody over the child can make decisions on who can see the child. What you will have to do is petition the court to establish paternity. Once paternity has been established you will have standing to request custody of the child.

In Oklahoma like in every other state, the law prefers a joint custody arrangement as the best interests of the child will be met by having the continued access of both parents. The parent who wants to have sole custody will bear the burden to prove that the other parent is unfit to parent the child or the child will be exposed to an environment that is detrimental to their well-being.

Having no job or education is not a relevant factor in deciding a parenting arrangement that will be accommodating to the child. The counseling for drug addiction can be persuasive, but if there is no current concern of drug abuse, the judge can decide to award joint custody, unless it is clear that the grandparents are still abusing drugs. Any type of environment which will expose the child to a risk of abuse is persuasive in denying a joint custody arrangement, but that risk must be present, not based on past history. I hope I am making sense here.

You can review the OK laws on how custody is determined, so that you can prepare in the link here, starting at section 43-109

Title 43. Marriage and Family (569KB)

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you