How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I a going to court for custody of my 2 children. I was not ...

Resolved Question:

I a going to court for custody of my 2 children. I was not married to their father. He is now incarcerated for punching our 3yr old in the eye and then punching myself. He will still be in jail at the time of our custody trial. Will they go ahead and determine custody or wait till his release? I guess i am wondering if because of his incarceration being due to abuse on his 3 yr old will there be any chance he will get custody of the children?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Thank you candance 778 for your question.

1) The court has the discretion to transport the father to his custody hearing if the father requests that he be transported unless, the location where he is housed does not permit transportation of inmates.

2) As to him getting custody or shared custody...There is no way a judge will grant him any custody to the child that he has abused. Custody is awarded based on what arrangement would be beneficial to the child's best interests. Placing a child with his batterer is not in the child's best interest. If the judge decides to award him visitation, it will most likely be a supervised visitation order as the child needs to be protected from further potential abuse.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions