Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
7902899

i am a unmarried father of two my fiancee left and left 4 ...

i am a unmarried father of two my fiancee left and left 4 year old with me and has abandonded the 10 month old with her cousin im picking up him today how do i get custody of these children with out having to pay a great amout of lawyer fees i live in the state of ohio in butler county thank you for any advice
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.

You can file a petition for custody yourself. You can file an affidavit stating that you are the father and request temporary custody due to her abandoning the children. You will do this by filing a petition to establish paternity and state in it that you are the father and would be willing to have a paternity test to prove this.

You will also need to file a petition for custody and explain that you are a fit and proper person to take care of your kids, explain that their mother has abandoned them. Ask the court to set a hearing for this or in the alternative to grant custody.

If temporary custody is granted, the mother would not have permission to pick up the children anytime she wanted.

Please don't forget to ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my time.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
which court do i go to to file the petition or addidavit i spoke to the courts and they told me to get an attorney can you give me the names of the forms

You would file these in the juvenile court. Here is the link: http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/juvenilecourt/

I already gave you the names of the documents you will need to file above.

1. Affidavit of Paternity--you can type up yourself and sign and notarize

2. Petition for temporary custody--explain that the mother has abandoned, that you are the father, sign and notarize.

3. Petition for custody--explain what is going on, that you are the father, sign and notarize.

Good luck!

Jennifer

If you need more help, let me know. Otherwise, don't forget to accept so that I may be compensated for my time.

Jennifer