How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Familylaw Guru Your Own Question
Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Familylaw Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced 4 1/2 yrs ago in mahoning county, ohio.

Resolved Question:

I was divorced 4 1/2 yrs ago in mahoning county, ohio. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my ex-husband''s house as a cosigner. He was supposed to refinance or sell the house to get my name off. Unfortunately, he never did. When I asked him when he was planning on doin so he said in 30 years when the mortgage is paid off. What are my legal rights and what can I do in this situation?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.

Legally, if the divorce agreement stated that your name would be removed, he must do this now not 30 years from now. To get this enforced, you will need to file a notice of contempt with the court that issued your divorce. A judge will then order that the house be refinanced or sold as agreed upon previously.

Since your ex is in contempt, you can also ask that he pay your attorney fees for having to bring this case to court.

Please don't forget to ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my time.


Familylaw Guru and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions