How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old daughter and her 18 year old boyfriend (not ...

Resolved Question:

My 18 year old daughter and her 18 year old boyfriend (not married) live with his parents. They have a beautiful 2 month old baby. My daughter has been diagnosed with Post partum depression, but refuses to take her meds, or go to counselling. Boyfriend is also depressed. They play video games all night, sleep all day. His parents take care of the baby, and get family to help out while they work. The 18 year olds have decided in the last few days to give up the baby. How can the grandparents get temporary cutody, so the parents can''t do something stupid, before they get help with their depression? Both sets of grandparents love the baby,and get along very well. We really need some guidance! Thank-you!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Under the Michigan laws, a grandparent who has essentially taken over the raising of their grandchild has legal standing to petition the court for an order of custody. The grandparent will bear the burden of proof why it is that custody should be taken away from the parents. Based on the information posted here, it appears that the paternal grandparents have standing to petition the court for "non-parent custody" as they have been in charge of raising the baby and it is clear that both parents are immature and mentally unfit to care for the child at the present time.

You will need a family law attorney to assist here, as these custody cases are complex to handle without representation.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you