How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NOT LEGAL ADVICE! Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2201
Experience:  Information provided is for entertainment puposes only and is NOT legal advice.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
NOT LEGAL ADVICE! is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, i m going thru a divorce, my marriage contract was done ...

Resolved Question:

Hi, i m going thru a divorce, my marriage contract was done outside the USA and never been registeres in USA, it said that bride's dowry is a total of 40,000$. my question if the divorce took place in USA is this what i have to pay? or it has to go thru the standard US divorce settlement (means my ex wife will get almost half of my assets), also will it make any difference if the marriage contract was registerd or to be registered in USA now?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NOT LEGAL ADVICE! replied 9 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Was your marriage legally registered in the country in which you were married? Did you obtain a valid marriage license? In which country were you married?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the marriage was legally registered in Syria, but it s not in USA.
she is trying to register here the same marriage document to get much more money.

So what is the best action that i can do?
Expert:  NOT LEGAL ADVICE! replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Marriages registered in Syria are recognised for all legal purposes in the United States. Therefore, this marriage certificate will be equal in every respect to one issued in the United States. If she files for divorce of a legally recognized marriage, the court will decide the divorce settlement based on their general dissolution procedure.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
This is the ONLY way I am paid for my efforts.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

All of my BONUS earnings will be DONATED to:

The Breast Cancer Alliance United to Support and Educate (BCAUSE) and PAWS; a non-profit organization which provides essential services to assist the low-income elderly, chronically ill and disabled in keeping their companion animals.

Thank you for your support of these CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS!

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE! and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
so if i want to divorce her and have her get only what the original marriage certificate stated, what i can do? by the way i can divorce her in Syria, and i can have the divorce certificate there honor the same marriage certificate, if this happened and she wanted to take the divorce certificate to register it here ,will that honor her only what the divorce certificate stated or it has to go thru the legal channels here like u said?
By the way also i m the sponsor of her visa too and i can terminate it at any time
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Also please how about if i do not want the marriage certificate to be registered here in USA? can they register it without my presence or permission?

Thank you so much
Expert:  NOT LEGAL ADVICE! replied 9 years ago.

It depends on the state in which you live. For example, a foreign marriage certificate cannot be recorded in California. If a couple wanted to establish a record of the marriage in California, they would need to file a petition in Superior Court to establish a Court Order Delayed Certificate of marriage. Contact your county court to verify the procedure for your state.


NOT LEGAL ADVICE! and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you