How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away in December and did have a will.

Resolved Question:

My father passed away in December and did have a will. However, all assets were in both my parents name, and I, as their only child, was also listed on everything except their property deed. Is it necessary for us to have an attorney or is there something legally that needs to be done even though my mother is already named on all assets?? My mother cannot really afford to pay an attorney if it is not aboslutely necessary. Thank you for any information you can provide.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 9 years ago.


If all of your father's assets were also in your mother's name, I don't see any need to have to spend a lot of money. For instance, if the house was deeded to them both as "joint tenants" it entirely belongs to your mother now. If the bank accounts were joint---same thing.

I would suggest, however, that a lawyer be consulted merely to make a quick check that everything is all right, and to get the deed in order, and make sure that all the "loose ends" are tied up. It would likely be very inexpensive and save a ton of trouble in the long run. It would likely not be a problem immediately, but some time in the near future, certain things would have to be taken care of.

I hope this answers your question. If so, click on Accept so that I can get credit for my work.

dkennedy and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you