Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My husband passed away recently. Am I responsible for ...

Customer Question

My husband passed away recently. Am I responsible for a credit card bill? The card was in his name only. I live in Missouri. At no time did I ever use this card.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Missouri is not a community property state. Because it is not a community property state, you will be responsible for your spouse's debts only if you voluntarily assumed those debts . Since your name was never on that card and you have never used that card, you are not responsible for his debts.

The creditor will have to collect against your husband's estate.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Let me know if you need further help here, thanks.