How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elizabeth Powell Your Own Question
Elizabeth Powell
Elizabeth Powell, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 127
Experience:  Washington State
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Elizabeth Powell is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what does the term Divorce reactivated mean

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 18 years and there is 1 adult child as a resuelt of this marriage. When my daughter was 15 yrs old she went to live with her dad and i paid him child support and as dec 2006 I have been released from that payment as she finished hs and will be 20yrs old in april. There is not any outstanding child support owed and i have all my paper work signed by myself myex the judge and all attnys. I recvd a notice by mail from our couty courts saying on may 19 2008 i must appear in re: Divorce-Reactivated courts order setting final trial. I have no idea what this mean and neither does my ex and he got the same notice. I have not been able to speak to the court clerk as of yet i recivd this notice in Fridays mail. Also i have had no luck locating any kind of information on "Divorce - Reactivated" Can you tell me what does the term means?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Elizabeth Powell replied 9 years ago.

Have you looked at

I did the world's quickest look at TX civil procedure and I can't find anything that has "reactivated" in the title. As you and your ex both got notices, you and your ex both must appear. It isn't the clerk of the Court you want to talk to, it is the judge's assistant or the bailiff who works for the judge.

You can write that person a letter (before May) and explain what you said here - that there is no outstanding child support, that all issues were addressed eighteen years ago, the divorce is final, and you are at a loss to understand why the court wants you to appear. The court may have some perfectly good reason why you should go deal with something, this could be a computer generated screw-up with a similar cause number, or perhaps there was a document that was supposed to be filed but was overlooked at the time.

Don't ask to talk to the judge, that is not proper, but you can speak with his or her assistant. Alternatively, you can go to the Courthouse, and look in your file and see if you can figure out what triggered this notice.

Your county Bar association may have a clinic or a class where you can talk to a family law attorney, or maybe you want to set up a short consult with a local attorney to get this straightened out. Take the document you received from the Court with you so the lawyer can read it themselves. Hope this helps. XXXXX XXXXX

Hope this helps. XXXXX XXXXX