Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I have paid the state of Maine back child support for many ...

I have paid the state of Maine back child support for many years on 3 children, ages 18 to 28. Every job I get, the state of Arizona attaches my paycheck, and $400 per month goes to this debt. I would like to know how to settle for a lesser amount - they claim I still owe $44,000, and I feel I can never get ahead. I think the amount is actually growing! Is there an "offer in compromise" as in tax debts?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
The answer depends on the practice of the enforcement agency. You would need to contact them to see if they would agree to negotiate a settlement. In general, the enforcement agency does not allow to negotiate settlements. So you are faced with paying what you owe. The only thing they could allow is working out a different payment plan, but that is as much as the enforcement agency is willing to do.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Not sure what you mean by enforcement agency. You say to contact them to try to arrange a settlement, and then you say they won't do that. I am a little confused. Is there is no way an attorney could negotiate a final settlement, say 10 cents on the dollar, so that I could get it paid off?
Thank you Customer for you response.

Sorry if I was not clear. I said that you can attempt to settle with them. But in reality the state does not enter into negotiations for child support arrears.

By enforcement agency, I was referring to the state child support agency that is asking you for the money. I am assuming that the state is asking for the arrears.