How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Familylaw Guru Your Own Question
Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Familylaw Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 18 years old and still remains a full time

Resolved Question:

My son is 18 years old and still remains a full time student. His mother currently receives the child support check from me but will not use is for his expenses but instead uses it to pay for her car and such. Can I make the child support payments directly to him so he can use the money for himself since it is supposed to be used for his expensed and such? He lives in NY with his mother in my parents two family home and I live in NC. If this is allowed by law I would much rather he receive the money directly so he can pay for his needs rather that his mother paying for her needs.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.


To get this accomplished, you will need to file a petition to modify child support with the court that originally set the order.

Ask in this petition that the money be able to be sent directly to your son since the mother is not using this money towards his expenses.

I hope this helps! If this has helped, please accept so that I may continue to help others as well.


Familylaw Guru and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you