How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NOT LEGAL ADVICE! Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2201
Experience:  Information provided is for entertainment puposes only and is NOT legal advice.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
NOT LEGAL ADVICE! is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

when to quit paying child support

This answer was rated:

The decree says when he turns 18 or moves out. He turns 18 April 9th 2008.
Do I pro rate the last month or do I pay the entire month of April. ( no college clause I have only been late twice by just a couple days for making payments).P.S. he also hasn''t lived with his mother for over a year, but his mother has been contributing approximately 20.00 aweek to him, also buying him clothes occasionally.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

In which state was the child support awarded, please?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Des moines, Iowa.

Thank you for the additional information. Child Support may be terminated only if all conditions in the dissolution decree are met. A child support order will only terminate if a motion to terminate child support is granted. You may consider obtaining the necessary paperwork from you county clerk's office (motion to terminate child support) or you may file this through a local attorney. Submit the paperwork as soon as possible. Child support termination is generally granted as of the child's 18th birthday, so the month would be prorated.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE! and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you