How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elizabeth Powell Your Own Question
Elizabeth Powell
Elizabeth Powell, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 127
Experience:  Washington State
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Elizabeth Powell is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i get my child support dropped being disabled

Resolved Question:

i can not work any more and can not pay child support any more,so i am wondering are their any ways to get it canceled?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Elizabeth Powell replied 9 years ago.

Hello: If you are getting Social Security, your child is elgible for benefits through your social security as the minor child of a person who is disabled. Talk to that office. Your support obligation won't be cancelled, but if you can't work, social security can pick up the slack for you. Also, you can discuss this with the state agency that deals with child support in your state. If there is a court order requiring you to pay support, the agency can't change that order, only a judge to change it. But you have to tell the Court.


Elizabeth Powell and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you