How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Dallas, TX. My ex-husband followed me home from ...

Resolved Question:

I live in Dallas, TX. My ex-husband followed me home from work yesterday and waited for me in his truck in the alley behind my house. When I rolled down my window he proceeded to harrass me about property he thinks he is still entitled to even though the divorce decree says differently. He yelled obscenities and insulted me. The police cant help because he didn''t get out of his truck and wasnt trespassing. My divorce attorney says he cant file for a restraining order because the divorce is final. The disctric attorney says they cant issue a protective order because he hasn''t threatened me with physical violence. Is there anything I can do to try to keep this from happening again or to allow me any recourse if it does?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Right now you cannot do anything as you have been told there was no grounds to press charges or to obtain a restraining order. The information you have obtained from the District attorney is correct. To get a restraining order you would need evidence of domestic violence of threat of violence. His yelling of obscenities and insults do not unfortunately result in domestic violence for a restraining order.

What you can do next time. Do not direct any contact with him. Proceed to enter your property. If he gets out of the vehicle and enters your property line, call the police as this is considered trespass. If he touches you, this is considered an assault and battery (any unconsented touching of whatever degree is considered a battery).

If he follows you a second time you can get him for stalking. In Texas harassment occurs through telephone, written or email communication.

Below are the statutes for harassment and stalking


You can obtain more information for what you need to get a restraining order here.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you