How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 25 year old son who is an alcoholic and drug ...

Resolved Question:

I have a 25 year old son who is an alcoholic and drug abuser that cannot hold a job and has been in and out of hospitals and tried to kill himself twice and when drunk he threatens to do it again. How complicated is it to declare him incompent and get legal power of attorney? I am trying to get social security for him and I am afraid that he will just spend it on drugs and drinking if he gets the check.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Sorry to hear what you are going through with your son.

What you are looking to do is seek guardianship of your son. To become a guardian you would need to demonstrate that your son is not mentally capable of making the right decisions for himself and if left on his own, there is a risk of harm to himself or others. In general medical documentation is required to demonstrate the mental incapacity of the person. Based on the information you have presented here, it is clear that your son needs someone else to make decisions for his best interests.

Being the guardian of another is intense work as you are required to follow do repeated follow-ups with the court, provide an accounting of what you have done on behalf of your son or his finances.

You can read more about the types of guardianship and court process for Ohio here.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you