How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An 18 year old child wants to emancipate from her ...

This answer was rated:

An 18 year old child wants to emancipate from her biological Mother who has not had contaact with the child for years (and even that was a text message twice a year), has not supported the child financially and the Father has had full custody for years. Now, she has a loving StepMom and both want the daughter to be adopted by StepMom? What are the steps for this process (and we live in NJ)?
In New Jersey the age of majority is 18. They are considered legal adults and do not require to petition the court for emancipation. So the 18 year old child does not require to petition the court to be emancipated.

As the minor is a legal adult, you can proceed with the adult-adoption process and will not require the consent of the mother, but only the consent of both the step-mother and the father. You would begin by filing the petition (also called complaint) for adoption at your county's Surrogate Court. You would also need the adoption agreement and court order.

You will need to see if these documents are with the court clerk in the Surrogate's court. If there are no such forms, you will need an attorney to draft these documents for you. Not all states or counties provide these forms, so you first need to double check with the court clerk to see if they have the forms before seek the assistance of a family law attorney to assist you with the process.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you