Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

The father of my child and I agree on custody and he ...

The father of my child and I agree on custody and he pays child support through the state. We have run into a problem with taxes though and he feels that he should be able to claim her. I told he I don''t mind switching back and forth every other year. He only has her every other weekend. We do not have a court ordered custody agreement. I would like to have a legal court order on custody. What paperwork do I need to have for custody and taxes?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

You will want to petition the courts for custody based on the best interest of the child. I would advise you to hire a lawyer as they can get a emergency hearing in quickly and see if the judge will grant you custody based on the living arrangements of the child.

If this is not a possibility to hire a lawyer you will need to fill out the forms at the following link: Washington Courts Fill them out completely and submit them to your local clerk of courts office with the filing fee's. The clerk will help you get the paperwork needed to serve the father and will set up a hearing for a temporary custody order to address who should have custody and the right to file.

I wish you the best,

Walter