How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who is fifteen (16 in April). I now live

Resolved Question:

I have a son who is fifteen (16 in April). I now live in California, and he lives in Kentucky with his mother. He wants to move to California to live with me and my family which consists of my wife, our two sons, and his eighteen year old brother (from my marriage with his mother). Will a judge listen to him?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


You will want to petition the courts for custody based on the desires of the child. With his age the judge will talk with him and ask him what he wants and why. While this will not be the deciding factor the judge will take the child's wishes in mind when ruling. I would advise you to hire a lawyer since the distance is so large between the two homes. You would be required to petition in Kentucky as they have jurisdiction over the child. By hiring a lawyer you will prevent unneeded trips out there. Make sure you speak with one from Kentucky.

If this is not a possibility to hire a lawyer you will need to fill out the forms at the following link:Divorce Source: State Specific - Modification Forms for Custody ... Fill them out completely and submit them to your local clerk of courts office with the filing fee's. The clerk will help you get the paperwork needed to serve the mother and will set up a hearing for a temporary custody order.

I wish you the best,


Walter and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you