Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in ohio and child endangerment charges have been ...

Customer Question
I live in ohio and...
I live in ohio and child endangerment charges have been filed against me Misdemeanor in the first degree. Thier dad was supossed to be home before i had to leave for my clinicals ( I am in nursing school) he called and said he was running a little behind and to just go he would be home in 5-10 mins. It was 5:30 in the morning and the children were sleeping so i left locking the door behind me. My oldest woke up before he got here and ran outside in only pants a neighbor spotted him and called the police. I also had a 18 month old sleeping in his crib. Will they take my kids away from me?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/20/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
How old was your oldest son?

Reply toCustomers Post: 5 going to be 6 on feburary 20th
Since the police has found evidence to charge you with child endangerment, it is possible that your children will be removed from your custody. By law the parents are responsible for their minor children and if they are exposed to any risk of harm while left alone, the parents will be in trouble and the children can be removed.

If you have a prior history, that will also be taken into consideration as a basis to remove the children.

A child of 5 and 18 months are not considered mature enough to be left home alone. And a five year old does not have the mental capacity to handle an emergency situation if left home alone with an 18 month old. These are the issues child protective services will be looking at. Unfortunately it does not look good and an attorney is highly recommended.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
If I lose them will I be able to get them back and what good will a lawyer do he cant change the fact that i left them
Just to clarify, did you or someone else both a similar question yesterday by using another username?
not that i am aware of at this moment possibly a family member may have not sure. I believe I am a good mother and I made a mistake I do not think my childrens lives should be tor n apart for a mistake and taking them from the home and making then foster children or something would be very detrimental i would even say child abuse because of the emotional damage that would occur to them. They are well fed very loved and very happy children. Do they take any of that into account or do they just not care of what they go through.
Thank you for your response.

1) If they are removed, you will be given what is called a "reunification plan", a case plan of classes that you will need to work on to get your children back in your custody. In a nutshell you will need to do everything that the caseworker wants you to do in order to get your children back.

2) The fact that you are a good parent and the children are well taken care of will be considered, but the main focus will be on that single event where the child was out in the cold without any clothing. A child of that age could have possibly gotten loss or hurt while they were on their own.

3) A lawyer can push the court in allowing you to have your children stay in your custody while you engage in the case plan that you may be required to do. A lawyer can also request on your behalf that the children be placed with other relatives and not be placed in foster care. If the report fof CPS contains allegations that are incorrect or without grounds, a lawyer can dispute these allegations by setting the matter for trial.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

do you know how i can get in touch with a cheap good lawyer or one that will take payment I am an STNA right now and go to school full-time so I do not have a whole lot of money
Thank you for your reply.

You can contact the Ohio Legal aid help for assistance. They can provide free or low cost services. This is all based on income levels. If you are married to the father his income will also be considered. Their contact information can be found here.

I would also ask this agency if court appointed attorneys are provided in these types of cases (CPS removal/dependency cases) in your county. There are some states in the United States that assign court appointed attorneys but I am not able to determine if Ohio provides this service to its residents. The legal aid agency would be able to tell you this.

I wish you the very best of luck with this. Although I cannot guarantee the outcome, it seems that you can request that the children be with you while you engage in services and supervision by the caseworker. Again this is something the caseworker would have to agree to.

THank you for your time and advice
You are most welcome. I wish you and your children the very best with this. I see this was a mistake, so I hope your children are not removed.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer