How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can illegitimate children inherit property in the state of

Resolved Question:

can illegitimate children inherit property in the state of louisiana
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
they can inherit if they are named as beneficiaries under the will.

If there is no will then the laws of intestate succession for Louisiana provide that the illegitimate child can inherit if the parent has acknowledge them as their child.

Again, when there is no will, children have the same inheritance rights under the intestate succession laws of Louisiana as legitimate children provided they have been acknowledged by the parent from whom they wish to inherit or they have proved their
parentage in a civil court proceeding. A parent can acknowledge an illegitimate child in one of two ways: by registering the birth or baptism of the child; or by signing a declaration before a notary public and two witnesses.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you