Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

what are a fathers rights in family court

Customer Question
my cousin has started a...
my cousin has started a case in family court against his sons mother to obtain either shared custody and/or visitation rights for his son. Mother only brings him around when she feels like it and leaves him for days at a time then won''t bring him back for months. The actual father is currently unemployed but has constantly tried to be apart of his sons life and the mother is not making it easy. It doesn''t help that she was hiding her address for almost 2 years and her boyfriend is constantly interfering with their affairs because she has been staying with him. The father has a parental plan which includes getting a job, paying child support and maintaining a presence in the childs life. Will the court give him a problem when he gets to court because he is not currently employed?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/3/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Absolutely not.

When it comes to custody issues, the court does not consider a parent's unemployment status. The main focus in custody issues is to promote the child's best interest in having both parent's in their lives. The court favors a joint parenting arrangement as that arrangement benefits the ability of the child to have "equal" time with both parents. If one parent is unable to meet the daily demands of parenting the child, then the court typically awards primary custody to one parent over the other.

The court disfavors when a parent (such as the mother) is attempting to deny the relationship between the other parent and child, so if the father can show a pattern of behavior from the mother, the court will include provisions in the custody/visitation orders that will assist the father in enforcing his rights should the mother attempt to violate the orders.

Again, the court will not give him a problem because he is unemployed. Instead the court looks at the best interest of the child.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer