How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband left me in 2000 . I purchased divorce papers ...

This answer was rated:

My husband left me in 2000 . I purchased divorce papers online . I do not know where he is now so I cannot et him to sign them. How do I go about fileing the papers? Can I file by mail? Do I need a lawyer to represent me? There are no children, property or posessions. I know that in some states it is possiable to file and obtain a divorce entirely online. Is this possiable in Houston Texas?

You can file for divorce on the grounds of abandonment and then you do not need his signature. You simply file the papers with the county court in your county where you reside. You should take the papers to the clerk's office and they can direct you as to when the judge will sign the papers. You can not do this online in Texas, but you can do it on your own without an attorney.

Texas Familly Code Section § 6.005. ABANDONMENT. The court may grant a divorce in favor of one spouse if the other spouse:
(1) left the complaining spouse with the intention of abandonment; and
(2) remained away for at least one year.

legaleagle and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you