How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

represent myself

Resolved Question:

Hi, Can I represent myself in a civil court that has to do with trust and will issues. I need to voice my opinion and show my evidence in order for me to win this case. I have been ignored for 1 and 1/2 years and no one listens to me. The judge has only heard my sisters side and they are making their case on fraud. I have written proof to show someone, anyone who will sit down and listen. Doesn't the judge listen to both sides? In my case the judge is taking what my sisters attorney tells him. Won't listen to me. I tried 3 times to show the judge my written proof, I am being ignored. Thyanks, Jon
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 9 years ago.


Are you sure you cannot hire an attorney to work with you? If not, have you considered speaking to a paralegal who may be able to give you some tips on presenting evidence or maybe helping you organize. I mention this option, because it may be a cheaper alternative.

Often when a judge is seeming rude or ignoring someone, it's because he/she doesn't like the person's demeanor or attitude. That is one of the downfalls of a person representing themselves. They can get upset or over emotional and judge's take it wrong. Maybe that's not what you are doing, but it is possible, that in your struggle to get your views out there, you are coming across wrong to the judge.

Another thing you could do is to prepare your case and practice presenting your info to friends and get a critique.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne--I recommend an attorney. If you cannot, then I hope I helped with some suggestions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
one more question, I have been slandered by 7 elite professionals who are afraid of my testamony because I can do a lot of damage. You are correct, the judge wouldn't communicate with a drug addict. That is what is being slandered. Any suggestions on how to get this to a different judge? Can I have a judge changed if I feel their is a conflict of interest? Thanks, Jon
Expert:  dkennedy replied 9 years ago.


You can file a Motion to Recuse, asking the judge to voluntarily get off the case and let another judge hear it. You would have to have a really good reason, of course. Some judges are happy to get out of a tough case.

Also, in some jurisdictions, the judges rotate and you could get a different judge each time you go to court, actually. That may be to your advantage. Check out ahead of time and see of the court operates that way, and try to get the hearing set when the 1st judge is on a different rotation.

I hope this answers your question. If so, click on Accept so that I can get credit for my work. Thanks.

dkennedy and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you