How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting ready to tell my husband I want a divorce. He ...

Resolved Question:

I am getting ready to tell my husband I want a divorce. He drives 4 hours to and from work every day, and I spend most of the time with our 15 year old son. Would I be granted physical custody and get the house even though my husband makes the house payment?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
These issues are determined on a case by case basis. In general the parent who has been responsible for the child's daily parenting needs is typically awarded primary custody of the child. Additionally if appropriate for the child's well-being, the court has the discretion to allow the custodial parent and child to live in the family home while the child is still a minor and can then make a separate order that the property be sold once the child is an adult. The court can also have the non-custodial parent pay the mortgage if this is economically feasible for the non-custodial parent.

When you file for divorce in your petition you will need to make these requests for the court's consideration as this is not an automatic provision but decided by the judge.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you