How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 20 years old, has attempted suicide twice, ...

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 20 years old, has attempted suicide twice, is unable to support herself and in intensive behavioral health therapy. Her father refuses to help out with her basic living expenses as she is over 18. He does help with her college tuition but that is it, he says the rest is my responsibility since she is over 18. Do I have any recourse? Is there a way to make him continue to pay child support? She has attempted to work but has been unable to get into the right kind of therapy to help with her mental illness. I am now getting her into the right therapy but it is also going to cost me up to $1000 per month, which her father thinks he doesn''t have to pay? How am I supposed to help her and pay for all her living expenses and for her treatment with no help from her father? I live in Washington state and he works at Boeing so he makes a very good living. Help! I want to help my daughter get well but am finding that I have to live like a pauper to do so
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately once the child is an adult, the law cannot force a parent to financially contribute. So you cannot use any legal process to "force him to contribute". This is unfortunately a moral issue not a legal one.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you