How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a grandparent and my son my only child

Resolved Question:

I''m a grandparent and my son my only child passed away. My grand daughter now lives with her mother in Michigan and i live in New york. I been in my granddaughter''s life since day one and has been helping her mother support her. I do get my granddaughter during the summer months and whenever her mother wants to send her to New York. Her mother is in a new relationship and is having a child with her boyfriend. She expressed to me that her boyfriend wants to adopt my granddaughter once they are married. Is that possible without my consent as the next of kin from my son''s family?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately a grandparent does not have the legal standing to object to the adoption of their grandchild by another person.

The few times a grandparent can object would be if the grandparent has taken care of the child as a parent. The grandparent would first have to obtain custody rights of the child before they can make any objections to the adoption, otherwise the grandparent has no standing.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you