How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you marry someone from St. Marteen and you live in ...

Resolved Question:

If you marry someone from St. Marteen and you live in California, how do you divide your property if you divorce?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Do both parties reside in California for at least six months?

If not have you resided in California for at least six months?

Are there any children involved?

The assets were they acquired prior to the marriage or during the marriage?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
One person is a resident of St. Marteen   and the other is a California resident. Both parties have lived in their respective residences longer than 6 months. No children together, St. Marteen party has kids from a preveious marriage.Assets acquired prior to marriage.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Either party may request a divorce in their own state.......whomever files first will be granted jurisdiction over the case. Since no children are involved that are shared either party may file when ever they choose.

Which ever state is filed in will be the state that decides on the division of assets.


Walter and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions