How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Back Child support

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Are you owed back child support though a court order for support?

What is your question about the back child support as it appears to have been cut off?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: No. Because the child was supposed to live with her 6 months out of the years, and she would have had to support him half the year. but one month after the divorce she moved away leaving him with me. Since she moved away she violated the terms of the agreement. He has never lived with her at all and she has never supported him as per the custody agreement.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

So are you asking if you can request back support?

Or are you asking if you are required to pay back support?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: I am asking if I can request back support. the past 2 months he has lived with her I have and will continue to send her 350.00 a month for him. of my own free will. She has no claim to any support. I raised him and she never sent me a penny.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


You have the right to request back support for the time you had the child. You will need to petition the courts for back support for the child. There are no guarantees, and the judge has to make the decision if you should be granted child support arrears.

The biggest issue is the judge is going to want to know why you did not ask for support when you had the child. He will decide if you should receive support even though you chose not to seek it when you had the child.

I would advise you to seek a lawyer to represent you in this matter. I would not advise you to go to alone as often these cases are dismissed due to you failing to ask for support while you had the child.