Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

HOW DO I GO ABOUT FIGHTING FOR CUST FOR A CHILD THAT LIVES ...

Customer Question
HOW DO I GO ABOUT...
HOW DO I GO ABOUT FIGHTING FOR CUST FOR A CHILD THAT LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE AN WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF WINNING
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2008
Family Lawyer: Walter, Legal Consultant replied 10 years ago
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant

Who is this child to you?

Why do you want custody and what is your basis for asking for custody?

What is the age of the child?

Who has custody now?

Walter

I AM THE FATHER OF THIS CHILD I AM LOOKING FOR FULL TIME CUST FOR MY CHILD I BELIEVE HE MAY BE IN A VERY UNSTABLE HOUSE AN THAT DOES NOT OFFER THE RESOURCES AN TIME I COULD PROVIDE FOR HIM HE IS SIX YEARS OLD AN ALMOST SEVEN HIS MOTHER RESTRICTS THE TIME I CAN HAVE HIM VISIT AN ALSO THE TIME THAT WE SPEAK ON THE PHONE SHE TOOK HIM FROM RHODE ISLAND TO FLORIDA WITHOUT CONCENT WE WERE NEVER MARRIED SHE WAS ON WELFARE AT THE TIME SHE LEFT I HAVE OBTAINED A LAWYERE IN RHODE ISLAND WHO JUST TOOK MY MONEY AN SAID THAT JURSTICTION IS IN FLORIDA CAUSE MY SONS MOTHER HAS BEEN A RESIDENT FOR MORE THAN SIX MONTHS

First off I am sorry the lawyer did not inform you of this before he took your money.....sadly there are some unethical lawyers out there. I would advise you to report him to the BBB and the Legal Bar Association for unethical conduct. If you would like you may also take him to civil court to recoup your loss.

As for the custody case, he is right Since she has been in Florida for over six months they will have jurisdiction over the case. You will be required to hire a lawyer in Florida to represent you in the custody case.

Your first step is to hire the lawyer. Make sure all your ducks are lined up at home including making sure there is a stable home environment as the courts will lily order a home study done. You should also have child care lined up for when you work and the things you will need to care for your child.

Your lawyer can get started on the paperwork and you can go down for the hearings only to prevent wasted travel money. If you have a order from the courts where you reside stipulating she was not permitted to leave the state with the child you will want to submit this to the lawyer as well to show proof that she has and is creating parental alienation.

Walter

Walter
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant