Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

I am separted from my husband and is currently seeing ...

Customer Question

I am separted from my husband and is currently seeing someone else. My husband keep trying to start a fight with my new bf. My bf cld him to tell him to leave him alone. He said he is going to take out a restraining order against my bf that he threaten him. can he do this? and will this prevent me from gettin custody of my child? My husband is the aggressor and has cursed me multiple times in the presence of my 4yr old son.he was abusive to me and was arrested for breaking my finger. He has been very loud and verbally abusive over the 7yrs.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Your new Boyfriend has the right to file for a restraining order due to the harassment and verbal threats. This will not effect your custody request at all since this has nothing to do with your boyfriend.

The only thing I see as a issue is you will have to make sure your boyfriend is not around your husband at all while the order is in effect. So he can not go with you to pick or drop the child off for visitation. Also keep in mind you will likely be required to pick the child up at all times since your husband can not go near the home you and your boyfriend reside in.

Walter

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
In the state of MD what can of impact will adultery have on a child custody?
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Adultery is not a reason in MD to decide on child custody but the fact is this can sway the judges mind. Most courts that have considered the issue recently have concluded that evidence of adultery is only relevant if it can be proven that the adultery has affected the children.

Walter