How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters ex husband said to her I am paying

Resolved Question:

My daughter's ex husband said to her:
“I am paying too much for child support. I am going to quit my job, get unemployment then file bankruptcy”
What can she do to keep up child support when he does it?

Thank you,

Vadim Gristan
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


He can quit his job and file bankruptcy all he will not stop child support. Child support can not be removed though bankruptcy ever for no reason. As for his support he can request a modification since he is not working but since he willingly quit the job the courts can refuse to modify the order based on suspicion of fraudulently trying to lower support payments.

They also can court order him to get back to work. He will still be required to pay support even if he is not working. If the judge orders a modification this will lower the amount he is paying to her.

I would suggest that if she has any witnesses to him telling her he was quiting the job to prevent having to pay that she take them with her to court when he requests a modification of the order.


Walter and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you