How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a grandparent ,who has been in the dcs system 18 years ...

Customer Question

i am a grandparent ,who has been in the dcs system 18 years ago,now my grandchildren are in their hands and they say because i was in their system before ,i can''t have them,according to federal law they say,PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ?DEPARTMENT of CHILDRENS SERVICES
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


If you could answer a few questions I will try to help you today.

What were you in the system for in the past?

If your children were removed why were they removed?

Did you ever get them back?

Were you ever charged with a crime?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
for neglect of my children,because i was not being the responsible parent that i should have been,yes i did get them back.if my memory serves me right no i was not charged with a fact the only thing on my record right now is 1 failure to appear,from like 15 years ago.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Since your children were removed from the home due to neglect Federal Law would prevent you from gaining custody of them. The law requires them to place the children with someone that has never been involved with a crime toward a child. Since the children were removed due to neglect they could not place the grandchild with you even if the wanted to.

While you can hire a lawyer to petition the courts for you, in the end you will not win.

I am sorry, I wish I had better news. I know how difficult all this must be for you. We all make bad decisions in life, but sadly there is little you can do to change this.


Walter and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.
Your welcome and I wish you the best.