Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

what do i need to do to get custody of my friends

Customer Question
my friend''s son was placed...
my friend''s son was placed in foster care on saturday and i want to take care of him. what steps do i need to take to get custody
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2008
Family Lawyer: Walter, Legal Consultant replied 10 years ago
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant

What state and city has taken the child?

What is the age of the child?

Walter

Oneida NY and he will be 1 yrs old january 18th he was taken on saturday the 29th of dec.

Your first step is to get in contact with child protection agency and let them know you are a family friend and would like to foster the child during the investigation. I am assuming right now he has only been taken temporary until they can investigate and deal with the situation.

You can request custody of the child in the courts if you are denied the right to take the child though child protection services. Keep in mind they will want to place the child with family first. If he has no other family such as a father, grandmother etc that will take him then you can hire a lawyer to petition the courts for custody based on your family friendship with the child.

I would not advise you to go this alone, the courts are very touchy about placing a child when the person is not family so a lawyer is your best chance at gaining custody of this child.

Walter

ok but how do i go about doing it? i mean the grandmother is not an acceptable guardian and the father is in jail his family is in florida and there are sisters of the maternal grandmother but they dont know him like i do. I have been there since he got out of the hospital... and how much is a lawyer gonna cost?

First step is to express your desires to the social service worker. If they think it will work they will help you petition the court and represent you.

If not your only option is to hire a lawyer to petition the courts for you. A lawyer can cost anywhere from 500.00 or more depending on how hard child protection services fight this. You would be required to go though a background check as well as get a home study done by children services to determine if the home is safe for the child.

Walter

Reply to Walter's Post: if she signs somethin saying she wants him to be with me would that make it easier?

Since she no longer has the child, her views on it no longer matter. She can sign a letter stating she prefers you to care for the child and this will go over better since she is not contesting it but in the end her choices are not considered since the child was taken from her.

Walter

Walter
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant