How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

equity owed to me stated by divorce decree

Customer Question

divorce was final 2005 in texas. It states that when she refinances the house,sells or defaults on loan is when I am owed the equity. She has stated that she can not refinance and give me the equity out of it. Do I have any rights I can enforce to receive the money she owes me or time limit that the law will enforce upon her? Please let me know my options so I can get my money out of this house!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


You can take her back to court to request that she uphold the divorce agreement. The hard thing in all this is if she can not get it refinanced there is little you can do but wait. There are no time limits on this, what was ordered will be enforceable as long as it follows the guidelines originally given in the agreement.