How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mother who manipulates our child, with whom we ...

Customer Question

I have a mother who manipulates our child, with whom we have joint custody and believes since she has custodial custody, makes her decisions for our daughter and not include me. She does not have her voice mail set up so she will only answer the phone when she needs something otherwise I will have to keep calling until she is ready to talk. When we argue she has our daugther think that I am a bad father and has her call me and leave me messages on my phone calling me a loser and a liar. She will not let me speak with my daughter and then have our daughter say that she does not want to speak with me and that she is mad at me. She left her nintendo ds in my car last week and is telling our daughter that I am keeping it from her. I have made several attempts to get this back to her but her mother keeps hanging the phone up on me and then have our daughter leave malice messages on my phone and denying me rights to my daugther. Can I go to court and get her to quit doing these things
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Anytime when a parent manipulates the emotional well-being of the child or attempts to destroy the relationship between the other parent and the child, the parent has the right to petition the court for a modification review hearing for the court to review these issues and to decide whether custody should be taken away from the parent manipulating and destroying the relationship. So based on the information you have posted here, I see that you do have grounds to file for this review hearing.

It would be best to have ready a diary of the times and dates that the mother behaves this way to show a pattern of her behavior and what she says. If you have messages that she left in your voicemail showing her behavior you can present those as evidence. The judge will want to see evidence of the mother's behavior to consider the modification hearing or to sanction the mother for her desire to destroy your bond and relationship with your daughter.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions