Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If I were to marry someone that has a wage attachment ...

Customer Question
If I were to marry...
If I were to marry someone that has a wage attachment for child support, would I have a wage attachment for myself to pay child support for his boy. I heard of the happening to someone at work.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
No, a step-parent is not financially responsible for the child support of their step-children. The only time the court will order a step-parent to pay would be if the step-parent prevented the biological parent from seeing their child, adopted the child or agreed to be bound for child support.

You can read a summary about this in the links below:

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/pennsylvania/stepparent_rights

Christensen v. Chrsitensen in holding that a step father who acquiesced in the mother's efforts to keep the child from seeing the biological father and from seeking child support from the biological father was responsible for child support.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer